Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Introspectively

Contrary to the stereotype, I have always worked hands-on in technology and am often disgusted by the attitudes of people towards this eminently skilled career. Twice have I entered the "hallowed" fields of management, and twice have I returned to the field of software development.

People are often shocked whenever I need to disclose my post graduate diploma, which to some appears strange for a software professional. And to me, remains a rather expensive way of having wasted and whiled away two valuable years of my life, instead of having joined the Institutes of Science and Technology, eminent Institutes whose offers I actually turned down.
It breaks my heart now to think that a wiser career choice at the age of 23 could have avoided this identity crisis etched into my psyche for life. If only I could turn back time. If only I could return to being that fool, poring over job adverts, and had chosen differently, I could have avoided being ashamed for life, ashamed of an education these last ten years. Inanely risking my life for the greed of a more glamorous career and then making a fool of myself, rather than dedicating it to a more faithful and appropriate one. What was I thinking? If only..
The sentimental cost of a frivolous decision is very expensive indeed. The practical cost is even more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home